By 2022, the PR industry is predicted to reach a value of $93 billion worldwide. In the UK alone, the PRCA outlined that the industry was worth £12.9 billion in 2016 – and it has almost certainly grown rapidly since then. These figures alone demonstrate how business are increasingly relying on PR to grow their business.
But the big question to ask yourself is this – should my business do PR in-house or outsource to an agency?
What is a PR agency?
Every agency will have different specialisms, priorities and ways of working. At Kinetic, for example, we start with the foundations: finding and honing your business’ DNA – your vision, mission and values. These are what underpin why you do what you do and how you do it differently. It’s what makes you stand out in a content-crowded world.
What is in-house PR?
In house simply means that you complete your marketing, PR and communications activities internally within the business, rather than hiring an agency to help. You might have a dedicated team or person who focuses on these activities as part of their day to day work.
There are benefits to both in-house and outsourcing. Some businesses will be more suited to hiring an agency rather than doing it themselves and vice versa.
When should I consider outsourcing to an agency?
- You’re a small business – ambitious small businesses can benefit greatly from working with a PR agency – and it doesn’t have to cost a fortune.
While you know that PR is important, you might not have the capacity or time on top of your daily commitments and the day-to-day running of the business operations. With an agency you’ll still be closely involved with the work, but you won’t have to deal with the vast organisational output that is required to run a successful campaign.
- You need specialist help – perhaps you already have an internal marketing team, but you need specialist consultation on a certain project or idea.
PR agencies are well acquainted with developing copy and collaborating with various media outlets. This experience and list of contacts can help you achieve editorial coverage and reach wider audiences or markets.
- You need to work on your core audience and communication strategy – sometimes, it can be easy to lose sight of your business and what you’re looking to achieve.
Perhaps you need an experienced fresh pair of eyes to boost your PR return on investment (ROI), inject creativity into your campaigns or better reach your target audiences (personas). An external agency can offer an independent perspective on what’s working, what’s not, and where your future priorities should lie.
- Your business is in a reputation crisis – it’s a sensitive time, your reputation is on the line and you need experienced support quickly to diffuse the situation.
In the heat of the moment, it’s often difficult to know where to turn or what to do. Specialist crisis and issue PR agencies are well equipped to guide you through the process, protecting your reputation at every step.
When should I keep my PR in-house?
- You are unsure if you’ll have the budget – depending what you’re looking to achieve, a campaign or full communications plan implementation can be costly. When deciding, it’s important to weigh up the external investment vs hiring a full or part time marketing executive and whether that will meet your needs.
Whatever your decision – ensure you’re viewing PR as an investment, not a cost.
At Kinetic, we’ve developed a range of options for all budgets, to help smaller businesses have access to specialist PR consultation. We also offer free communications reviews, so you can see what’s working and where you should focus your energies moving forward.
- You haven’t found an agency that understands your business – a good agency will take the time to understand your business, culture, audience and ambitions. Aligning them with your DNA and brand personality is key – but it’s not always easy.
Deciding whether to do your PR in-house or outsource to an agency is a big decision, but most importantly, it requires time and research to get it just right and find the best solution for your business.
If you want to learn more about what we do at Kinetic, and how we might be able to help your business, simply fill out the form below or call 0121 212 6250
Alternatively, book a spot on one of our free marketing workshops: